Clifton House is the most important house
in the historic town of King’s Lynn. A merchant’s house in
the heart of the town, it retains an amazing series of
historic interiors dating from the 13th to the 18th
centuries and is Grade 1 listed. Features of interest
include two tiled floors from the later 13th century (the
largest in-situ tiled floors in any secular building in
Britain); the 14th-century vaulted undercroft; the
five-storey Elizabethan tower and a series of rooms created
by the architect Henry Bell in 1700.
The house is a
privately owned family home, but is open to visitors on a
number of occasions during the year.
House and Tower:
King’s Lynn Hansa Weekend Tower and Garden only
Saturday 21st May 11am to 3pm
Sunday 22nd May 2pm to 4pm
King’s Lynn Festival whole House and Tower
Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th July 2015 10am to 4pm
Entrance charges Adults £3.50 Children £2.50. Under 5s free. Not suitable for people with impaired mobility due to the number of stairs. No booking necessary. Admission: £3.50.
Image (left): Thomas Snelling's dining room recreated for the 2015 Lynn Festival
Individuals or groups of friends and family can sign up to join one of our regular tours guided by the owners Dr. Simon Thurley and Dr. Anna Keay with tea and cakes afterwards.
Dates this year are 13 May, 20 May, 17 June, 15 July, 28 July, 9 September, 16 September.
Throughout the year we take tours round the house. These are guided by owners Dr. Simon Thurley or Dr. Anna Keay and can be tailor made to your group’s requirements. In collaboration with Dr. Paul Richards tours can be extended to other buildings in the town.